- East Lancashire Railway
- Permanent, Full Time
Attractive package including free travel, healthcare & life insurance
Senior Electrician and Electrical Supervisor
Brilliant opportunity for a qualified electrician to undertake a varied key role, to help to keep a vital spark of British Heritage alive.
Based in the heart of Bury, we are the East Lancashire Railway, a lovingly restored heritage railway which journeys for twelve miles through picturesque scenery from Heywood in the East to Rawtenstall in the North.
The future is bright here at East Lancashire Railway with so much potential to be unlocked from our range of offerings, and as a non-profit making company any surplus is re-invested straight back into the restoration of our heritage railway.
The Role – Senior Electrician and Electrical Supervisor
Supporting the General Manager on behalf of the Board of Directors, in this key role you will ensure the safety and health of our employees, volunteers, and the general public. This includes ensuring compliance with current legislation and regulations for all electrical equipment and work performed by the department; avoiding / reporting any negligence identified.
You will champion a safety-first approach and culture across our sites, with direct reports including a team of up to 10 weekend volunteers who have an electrical background. In the future we will also look to welcome an apprentice electrician who you will support to develop a career with us.
Your responsibilities will also include:
- Managing CCTV, fire alarm, burglar alarm, passenger lift and air conditioning systems including repairs, maintenance, troubleshooting, and impairments
- Managing electrical upgrades and electrical repair projects, including gathering quotations and reviewing contractor proposals
- Coordinating and scheduling all maintenance activities including repairs, preventive maintenance, new installation and upgrades
- Managing and working in-tandem with contractors and volunteers as required
- Ensuring any volunteer electrical support team member is suitably qualified to undertake tasks assigned to them, arranging formal training where necessary
- Ensuring all scheduled work is reviewed for compliance and impact to processes is minimal
- Ensuring the continuity of electrical functions for commercial service delivery particularly during special events
- Designing, implementing and managing a preventative maintenance system including inspection, PAT testing, repair, installation and maintenance of electrical systems, machinery and equipment across the entire ELR estate using the inhouse HOPS system
- Ordering all electrical spares and maintain an inventory
- Providing guidance and training to peers and/or customers on the general use of equipment
Our Requirements – Senior Electrician and Electrical Supervisor
- Qualified to at least NVQ Level 3 with Electrical Installations, and City & Guilds 2391 Test and Inspection
- Certified with BS7671 18th Edition Wiring Regulations
- Experience with single phase and three phase electrical installations – both commercial and industrial, and with electrical testing
- Working knowledge of CCTV Systems, fire and burglar alarm systems, air conditioning systems and power generation equipment
- Excellent communication skills and ability to coordinate, train, and supervise contractors and volunteers at multiple locations simultaneously
- An in-depth understanding of all relevant H&S regulations, processes and procedures
- Self-motivated, professional and capable of managing workload in an autonomous role
- Ability to work under pressure and to manage conflicting demands
- Ability to manage budgets, analyse data, manage projects, and write technical reports and documents
- Ability to plan, schedule, and execute scheduled shutdowns for high voltage and low voltage electrical distribution
- Confident leader and natural communicator with an inspiring quality
- Ability to monitor and manage performance standards with diplomacy and discretion
- Critical thinker with a pro-active, participative, and flexible approach to problem solving, taking the initiative by evaluating, making suggestions and generating new ideas to improve working methods and levels of performance
Although not essential, experience in the rail industry and/or with passenger lift systems, would be desirable, as would a holder of a JIB Gold Card.
- Permanent contract
- Competitive salary, in line with experience and qualifications
- Free travel on East Lancashire Light Railway services
- Rail Staff Travel Scheme, which allows travel on UK National Network for 25% off the normal fare (available after 6 months in role)
- Company pension
- Group Life Insurance including Death in Service benefit
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Access to BUPA Healthy Minds
- Healthcare service with access to 24/7 remote GP appointments
Based at our site in Bury, you’ll be working annualised hours, on average 38 hours per week. This will involve some weekend work – typically during special events.
How to Apply
All applications for this Senior Electrician and Electrical Supervisor role are to be submitted online, and strictly no agency calls or agency CV submissions.
Please include a cover letter with your CV, noting your salary expectations.