- Chester Zoo
- Permanent, Full Time
£38,781 + staff family pass & healthcare plan
Building and Civil Engineering Team Manager
Permanent contract, full time hours
A work setting like no other - working among rare giraffes and tigers, and within stunning gardens across a 128-acre estate!
The Role – Building and Civil Engineering Team Manager
You will play a key role in our Facilities Management team, taking direct responsibility for the day to day management of all aspects of building and civil engineering related maintenance works.
As a Building and Civil Engineering Team Manager you will:
- Lead and manage the Build and Civils team. Ensure all responsive, planned, preventative, minor enhancements and general maintenance tasks for the Zoo site are carried out in order to maintain and improve visitor and staff facilities
- Be directly responsible for the Health and Safety of the Build and Civils team, managing works compliant to CDM 2015 by preparing risk assessments and method statements as required. Manage sub-contractors' health and safety whilst on site, ensuring CDM compliance for any work undertaken
- Carry out surveys, inspections and report on asset condition for roads, drainage, roofs, fencing, building and structure for the planning of repair, refurbishment and replacement.
- Articulate and present detailed specifications to allow contractors to submit quotations and/or tenders and carrying out tender evaluation, awarding and initiating/accepting pre-costing health and safety plans
- Manage and maintain compliance records that are required for all statutory and mandatory regulations and zoo licensing. Be responsible for the compliance of play areas and pre ROSPA inspections, bridge inspection
- Manage the design and implementation of an ongoing program of competence training within the Build and Civils team to improve safety and the skill level of all team members.
- Support the Facilities Manager in the ongoing development of the section and its future legal compliance and success
What makes Chester Zoo a great place to work?
As the UK’s biggest and best zoo, we have ambitious goals, exciting plans, and there’s always lots going on here. We’re an inclusive and diverse organisation, made up of nearly 500 permanent and 500 seasonal team members, and we know how important it is to invest in our colleagues to help boost their career development.
The Package – Building and Civil Engineering Team Manager
- Permanent contract
- Contract hours are 40 hours per week, 5 days out of 7. There is a 30-minute (unpaid) meal break during the working day. There is also a requirement to work weekends and out of hours on occasion as per the needs of the business
- 33 days annual leave
- Salary of £38,781 per annum
- Staff family pass providing unlimited access to the zoo for you and nominated family members, plus discounts in our food and beverage and retail outlets
- Access to a healthcare plan for you and your children, providing cash back to cover costs of dental, optical, consultancy, complementary and alternative therapies.
- Employer contributory pension scheme, with the Zoo contributing up to 9% of your gross earnings
Our Requirements – Building and Civil Engineering Team Manager
- Experience in site management, and in a dynamic, fast paced and customer facing environment
- A high level of technical knowledge within the construction and maintenance industry
- H.N.D and/or Construction Technical Certificate in building construction
- Advanced City and Guilds in a relevant BandC trade
- Construction Industry Training Board Site Management or equivalent
- Health and Safety qualification e.g. I.O.S.H Managing Safely or Nebosh
- Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS)
- Qualification in Construction, Design and Management Regulations (CDM)
- Strong communication and negotiating skills
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Office
- Full, clean UK driving licence
Although not essential, membership of the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) would be desirable.
More About Us
We’re not just an amazing, award-winning visitor attraction that’s home to 20,000 incredible animals. We’re not just the UK’s most popular zoo. We’re a major wildlife charity that’s committed to the recovery of endangered species, globally. And, as the world faces an extinction crisis, we’re making a hugely significant contribution to conservation at a time when it’s needed most. We are Chester Zoo and we prevent extinction.
How To Apply
To apply for this position, please click the ‘apply’ button on this page where you’ll be redirected to the vacancy on the Chester Zoo website. You will then be required to provide your current CV and complete the application form highlighting your skills and experience including why you believe you should be considered for this Building and Civil Engineering Team Manager role.
Shortlisting of applications and interviews for the Building and Civil Engineering Team Manager role will take place while the advert is live; the advert will close once the successful candidate is found. Candidates are therefore encouraged to submit applications as soon as possible.